best websites of the world

Fugger

The family history
600 years of the Fugger family in Swabia

In the baroque style: Fugger coat of arms in St. Thekla, Welden

Documentation of the Fugger family's activities in Augsburg dates back to the the mid-14th century. The progenitor of the lineage that we know today was the weaver Hans Fugger, who in 1367 moved north from the village of Graben to what was then the Free Imperial City of Augsburg...

Documentation of the Fugger family's activities in Augsburg dates back to the the mid-14th century. The progenitor of the lineage that we know today was the weaver Hans...

Family coat of arms with crown

Jakob Fugger, copperplate engraving from 1618

Anton Fugger, copperplate engraving from 1618

Schloss Oberkirchberg with gate and church

Inner courtyard of Schloss Oberkirchberg

Schloss Kirchheim, eastern facade with main ...

Schloss Babenhausen, aerial photograph

Documentation of the Fugger family's activities in Augsburg dates back to the the mid-14th century. The progenitor of the lineage that we know today was the weaver Hans Fugger, who in 1367 moved north from the village of Graben to what was then the Free Imperial City of Augsburg. »Fucker advenit« – »Fugger has arrived« is noted in the Augsburg tax register. Due to his shrewd business sense and good economic conditions, Hans Fugger was able to rise within the weaver's guild. After his death in 1408, success continued as his second wife, Elisabeth Gfattermann, ran the business alone until she was later joined by her sons Andreas and Jakob. In 1455, the brothers split the business and later, the family name as well. Documentation exists in a letter of heraldry from 1462 of the lineage »Fugger vom Reh« with Andreas Fugger, and from 1473 »Fugger von der Lilie« with Ulrich Fugger and his brothers. After initial successes, the »Fugger vom Reh« ceased its economic activities due to a crisis at the end of the 15th century.

Unbroken to this day: The lineage of »Fugger von der Lilie«

The Fugger von der Lilie lineage produced many individuals who are notably associated with the Fugger name to this day. These include, alongside Jakob Fugger the Elder, his sons Ulrich, Georg and Jakob the Rich. With the Fugger foundations, the three brothers created something that has lasted for centuries. Anton Fugger, a son of Georg Fugger, was also instrumental in starting the Fugger tradition of beneficence. The three families still active today originate from Anton and his brother Raymund: The Counts Fugger-Kirchberg, the Princes Fugger von Glött and the Princes Fugger-Babenhausen.

Formative history for an entire region

The Fugger von der Lilie coat of arms shows two lilies on a gold and blue shield. It can be found at many locations in Swabia. During the 16th and 17th centuries, the Fugger family acquired extensive land holdings, primarily in eastern Swabia. Due to the fact that civic and property rights were limited to the nobility, the Fuggers were granted the title of count by feudal investiture. Over the course of time, the individual families took up residence in different locations, and some of their palaces and castles are still inhabited to this day. Many members of the Fugger family led important careers as councillors, dignitaries, scholars or officials. Today, the three Fugger families still reside in Swabia: the Counts Fugger-Kirchberg at Schloss Oberkirchberg near Ulm, the Princes Fugger von Glött at Schloss Kirchheim and the Princes Fugger-Babenhausen at Schloss Babenhausen and Schloss Wellenburg near Augsburg.



Eckdaten der News:
Newsdatum:26.02.2014,
09.08 Uhr
Angezeigtesdatum:
TExt Related:
text relbycat:
Relatedbycat:
Kategorie:cat_Geschichte
MutterLayout:layout_3
Unterlayout:layoutalt_noalt
Überschriftengröße:listueber_gr
Category: Geschichte
Show Teaser:0
Show Alt Teaser:0