best websites of the world

Fugger

The Fugger foundations
A versatile institution with 500 years of history

The deed of foundation from 1521

The Fuggerei is the best-known of the Fugger family's philanthropic projects. The foundation deed of 1521 established the Fuggerei together with the Fugger Chapel in St. Anna and the sermon endowment in St. Moritz. In the course of the 16th century, other foundations were added ...

From the beginning, the Fuggerei was not conceived as a stand-alone work; it was part of a larger design that included the Fugger Chapel in St. Anna as well as the ...

One of the three donor plaques in the ...

Lily Coat of Arms since 1473

Coat of arms adornment on the entryway

Donor plaque with benefactors of the ...

Historic offertory box

Donor plaque above the Ox Gate

Large family coat of arms with crown

The deed of foundation is located in the ...

The Fuggerei is the best-known of the Fugger family's philanthropic projects. The foundation deed of 1521 established the Fuggerei together with the Fugger Chapel in St. Anna and the sermon endowment in St. Moritz. In the course of the 16th century, other foundations were added. Today, the nine foundations are managed by the Fugger Foundation Administration.

The Holz- und Blatternhaus Foundation (wood and smallpox house), house number 40 - 42, was founded in 1548 by Anton Fugger. In these aptly named buildings on the Fuggerei grounds, patients afflicted with syphilis were given wood or mercury treatments as early as Jakob Fugger's day. Emperor Maximilian was among the patients treated there. The foundation financed the buildings, supplies for medical treatment, doctors, nursing staff, and even aftercare.

In the same year, the Waltenhausen Infirmary Foundation was established as an additional foundation under Anton Fugger. The foundation supported 25 female and 25 male needy individuals from the Fugger estates as well as impoverished family members. It was the only Fugger foundation to include members of the family among its beneficiaries.

The Schneidhaus Foundation was established according to Anton Fugger's last will and testament. Starting in 1560, it financed a house that provided free surgical treatment for needy patients. The Schneidhaus was not far from the Fuggerei.

The Fugger family's example was followed by some of their employees who had become wealthy. This resulted in several external endowments that were entrusted to the foundation administrators and are still administered by the foundation today:

  • Veit Hörl Endowment since 1546
  • Dr Simon Scheibenhardt Endowment since 1567
  • Dr Johannes Mylius Endowment since 1595

Today, the endowments are partially non-active and partially used for redesignated purposes. Every foundation is an independent legal entity and owns portions of the forest and thus of the total assets.



Eckdaten der News:
Newsdatum:26.02.2014,
09.08 Uhr
Angezeigtesdatum:
TExt Related:
text relbycat:
Relatedbycat:
Kategorie:cat_Geschichte
MutterLayout:layout_5
Unterlayout:layoutalt_3
Überschriftengröße:listueber_gr
Category: Geschichte
Show Teaser:0
Show Alt Teaser:0

 

RELATED THEMES