best websites of the world

Fugger

The Fugger Chapel at St. Anna
Representation to honour the deceased

Fugger chapel with epitaphs based on designs by Albrecht Dürer

The brothers Jakob and Ulrich Fugger concluded an agreement in 1509 with the Carmelite Convent for the construction of a chapel in what is now St. Anna Church. The male members of the family were to have their final rest in a tomb there ...

The brothers Jakob and Ulrich Fugger concluded an agreement in 1509 with the Carmelite Convent for the construction of a chapel in …

Courtyard entrance to St. Anna

Memorial stone for Jakob, Ulrich and Georg ...

Fugger chancel with view of the organ

Organ wings with paintings by Jörg Breu

Fugger chancel

Ceiling with Madonna in the keystone

Lamentation of Christ, altar group by Hans ...

Lamentation of Christ, predella with relief ...

Lamentation of Christ, reverse of plinth ...

Inscription about the founding of St. Anna

Inscription about the founding of St. Anna

St. Anna, nave looking towards the Fugger ...

Stained glass window showing Fugger coat of ...

Fugger coat of arms on the front of the choir

Entrance to the family crypt at the base of ...

The brothers Jakob and Ulrich Fugger concluded an agreement in 1509 with the Carmelite Convent for the construction of a chapel in what is now St. Anna Church. The male members of the family were to have their final rest in a tomb there. In 1521, Jakob Fugger established the chapel as a permanent charitable foundation in his own and his deceased brothers' names. After the brothers Georg, Ulrich and Jakob Fugger, only Jakob's nephews Raymund and Hieronymus were interred in the chapel. After St. Anna became Protestant, Fugger burials took place at remaining Catholic churches in Augsburg and at Fugger estates.

The Fugger Chapel as part of the foundations

The three independent foundations, the Fugger Chapel, the Fuggerei, and the sermon endowment at St. Moritz were established in the 1521 deed of foundation. Financially, the burial site at St. Anna was the most extensively endowed foundation. Jakob Fugger dedicated 15,000 florins to the foundation, which was a very substantial sum in his times. Current research names multiple motives for the large investment: On the one hand, Jakob Fugger was making a contribution to his family's salvation; on the other, the chapel was meant to be a sign of the economic strength and creditworthiness of the firm and of the social standing of the family.

Gesamtkunstwerk of the early Renaissance

The Fugger chapel in St. Anna is known as the first sacred Renaissance structure in Germany. Excellent artists were engaged for its design. The free-standing altar group depicts the Lamentation of Christ and was sculpted by Hans Daucher; the paintings on the organ wings were done by Jörg Breu the Elder. The epitaphs for the brothers Georg and Ulrich are also of art-historical interest: They were made based on designs by Albrecht Dürer.



Eckdaten der News:
Newsdatum:26.02.2014,
09.08 Uhr
Angezeigtesdatum:
TExt Related:
text relbycat:
Relatedbycat:
Kategorie:cat_Stiftung
MutterLayout:layout_2
Unterlayout:layoutalt_noalt
Überschriftengröße:listueber_gr
Category: Stiftung
Show Teaser:0
Show Alt Teaser:0

 

RELATED THEMES