best websites of the world

Fugger

St. Markus
The Fuggerei gets its own church

Interior of St. Markus. This is where the Fuggerei residents pray.

Originally, the Fuggerei did not have its own place of worship. Residents visited the nearby St. Jakob Church. During the Reformation, however, that church became Protestant ...

Originally, the Fuggerei did not have its own place of worship. Residents visited the nearby St. Jakob Church. During the Reformation ...

St. Markus, view from Herrengasse

Sundial on the south gable

Historical pump well

Portal with a bust of Saint Markus

Church service posting

Interior with coffered ceiling

View of the high altar

Altar to Mary

Under the gallery

Madonna the Protector

Processional angel

Archangel Raphael under a scallop shell

Winged altar

Reliquary shrine of St. Ursula

Original epitaph for Ulrich Fugger from St. ...

Altarpiece by Jacopo Palma il Giovane

View of the gallery including original ...

Entrance to the gallery

Carpet depicting the Battle of Lechfeld

Celebration for the reconstruction of the ...

Originally, the Fuggerei did not have its own place of worship. Residents visited the nearby St. Jakob Church. During the Reformation, however, that church became Protestant. The Catholic Fuggers responded and built a new church on the Fuggerei grounds: By order of the administrators Markus and Philipp Eduard Fugger, construction began in 1580, probably led by the master builder Hans Holl. The result was a simple church, which was dedicated to Markus the Evangelist in 1582. A distinctive architectural feature: In contrast to most Catholic churches, St. Markus was not built facing eastward; rather, its orientation was determined by the direction of the street on which it was built.

Until construction of the Heilig-Grab Chapel in 1613 (now St. Maximilian), St. Markus was the only Catholic church in the area. Here, the Catholic Fuggerei residents could celebrate Mass. The church has room for approximately 200 people.

St. Markus was reconstructed during the baroque era and was newly furnished. During the bombing raid of February 1944, the entire church interior burned. In 1950, it was rebuilt and furnished with salvaged or newly provided elements. As a result, St. Markus still has some interesting artworks such as the altarpiece with a crucifix by Jacopo Palma il Giovane (circa 1595) and the original epitaph for Ulrich Fugger from St. Anna, which was made by Adolf Daucher, probably based on designs by Dürer. Built between 1550 and 1560, the coffered ceiling, with its notable marquetry, is probably from the Fugger Foundation House near St. Anna.



Eckdaten der News:
Newsdatum:26.02.2014,
09.08 Uhr
Angezeigtesdatum:
TExt Related:
text relbycat:
Relatedbycat:
Kategorie:cat_Fuggerei
MutterLayout:layout_1
Unterlayout:layoutalt_noalt
Überschriftengröße:listueber_gr
Category: Fuggerei
Show Teaser:0
Show Alt Teaser:0