Documentation of the Fugger family's activities in Augsburg dates back to the the mid-14th century. The progenitor of the lineage that we know today was the weaver Hans Fugger, who in 1367 moved north from the village of Graben to what was then the Free Imperial City of Augsburg. »Fucker advenit« – »Fugger has arrived« is noted in the Augsburg tax register. Due to his shrewd business sense and good economic conditions, Hans Fugger was able to rise within the weaver's guild. After his death in 1408, success continued as his second wife, Elisabeth Gfattermann, ran the business alone until she was later joined by her sons Andreas and Jakob. In 1455, the brothers split the business and later, the family name as well. Documentation exists in a letter of heraldry from 1462 of the lineage »Fugger vom Reh« with Andreas Fugger, and from 1473 »Fugger von der Lilie« with Ulrich Fugger and his brothers. After initial successes, the »Fugger vom Reh« ceased its economic activities due to a crisis at the end of the 15th century.
Unbroken to this day: The lineage of »Fugger von der Lilie«
The Fugger von der Lilie lineage produced many individuals who are notably associated with the Fugger name to this day. These include, alongside Jakob Fugger the Elder, his sons Ulrich, Georg and Jakob the Rich. With the Fugger foundations, the three brothers created something that has lasted for centuries. Anton Fugger, a son of Georg Fugger, was also instrumental in starting the Fugger tradition of beneficence. The three families still active today originate from Anton and his brother Raymund: The Counts Fugger-Kirchberg, the Princes Fugger von Glött and the Princes Fugger-Babenhausen.