The Fuggerei is the best-known of the Fugger family's philanthropic projects. The foundation deed of 1521 established the Fuggerei together with the Fugger Chapel in St. Anna and the sermon endowment in St. Moritz. In the course of the 16th century, other foundations were added. Today, the nine foundations are managed by the Fugger Foundation Administration.
The Holz- und Blatternhaus Foundation (wood and smallpox house), house number 40 - 42, was founded in 1548 by Anton Fugger. In these aptly named buildings on the Fuggerei grounds, patients afflicted with syphilis were given wood or mercury treatments as early as Jakob Fugger's day. Emperor Maximilian was among the patients treated there. The foundation financed the buildings, supplies for medical treatment, doctors, nursing staff, and even aftercare.
In the same year, the Waltenhausen Infirmary Foundation was established as an additional foundation under Anton Fugger. The foundation supported 25 female and 25 male needy individuals from the Fugger estates as well as impoverished family members. It was the only Fugger foundation to include members of the family among its beneficiaries.